Saturday, April 30, 2011

Glucose Tolerance Test? No Thanks!

Seriously, if I didn't have to take this, I wouldn't.

 So this morning I woke up to my phone's alarm at 8:40 am. I had to be at the Lab at 9:40 am for my appointment. I was really tired though, so I lounged in bed for a good 20 minutes before getting up. I used the restroom then flopped back into bed and told Mikey to wake up. That it was already 9. He got up, and I got back up and we got ready. Michael also woke up and was laying down talking to himself until I peaked over the edge of the pack n play. (Yes, he got a new crib for his birthday, and no I haven't got it put up yet because of how sick I've been and Mikey has been working... except for today) Once we were all out in the living room, I realized that it was getting late, it was already 9:25 and we needed to go. Mike was putting on his shoes and I had other things to do. We finally got out the door with our DS's and to the car. Mikey was putting Michael in his carseat when I realized I didn't have my lab papers with me, so I had to run back up the stairs to go grab them.

 We got to Quest Diagnostics right at 9:41 and I signed in. I gave the lady behind the counter my papers telling her that I had an appointment for a GTT. She took the papers and handed them back telling me that West Lab is where my lab papers were for and I needed to go across the street. I was a bit upset because the OB/GYN said that I could go to Quest Diagnostics (Silly me, I hadn't realized the name of the lab was right there in big letters on the top of the paper when I was scouring it for an address) if I wanted to. We left and went across the street to see if we could just walk in since this is one of the few days Mikey has off and I needed to get these done before it was too late. Actually I was supposed to have them done before my last appointment, but it hadn't happened.

 So after finding West Lab, we went in and I signed in. There wasn't really any room to sit as it was a small waiting room and fairly full. There were a couple seats, but the only 2 seats open together were in a corner with no room for our little stroller that Michael was in. So, we stood there against the wall, me in the corner next to the desk. For this GTT test, I had to fast, which is why they suggest you go in for a morning appointment, it's much easier to fast for 10 hours when you are asleep. It's around 10:15 am now and I'm really feeling the effects of not eating. The longer I stood the worse I felt, my head started feeling really hot and sweaty, then it started feeling light and dizzy and my stomach was doing loops. I finally managed to mutter that I needed to sit down or I was going to pass out. Luckily, 3 people had just got up so Mike helped me over because I made sure he knew I needed help if I was going to make it. I think someone close by asked if I wanted their seat, but I wasn't really sure and I had no energy to move let alone acknowledge them. So dear person where ever you are, if you did offer you seat Thank you. I really mean it, and I'm sorry if I was an ass by not responding, but I really couldn't. I'm not even sure if someone did say anything either. I finally sat down and the lady at the counter came back. (I later found out she was the only one in the building this morning) Mikey went up and let her know that I was there for the GTT rather than waiting for her to call my name since we were going to be there for an hour anyways. She took care of the paper work and let Mikey fill some of it out for me, then handed him the dreaded drink. It was Orange flavored. I felt better knowing that it wasn't the horrid Lemon-Lime and settled in for a horrible experience.

 While the drink didn't taste nearly as bad as the Lemon-Lime one did, it was still bad. I could only take little tiny sips of it at first, and then I told myself I could do it and I went for it. I took bigger sips and started drinking it. After about three or four swallows I had to stop. There was no way I could do this without being sick. In fact I almost lost it at that point. So, I was back to little tiny sips. One lady, who I think might have been doing the same thing as I was told me that it was easiest just to down it quickly. I appreciated her help, but sadly I couldn't do it. This drink is supposed to be drank in 5 minutes. It took me almost 15 minutes to get it all down. I finally went up and my hour was started at 10:26 am.

 Next, she needed a urine sample from me. She had given me the cup at the same time as the drink so I already had it with me. I got up and went to the restroom to get the urine sample, but I couldn't breather either so I blew my nose, then stopped. My stomach was flip flopping from the GTT drink. I lurched over the toilet hoping with everything that was in me that I would not throw up, and luckily I didn't. I got the sample and dropped it on her desk (in a bag that I had put it in!), then sat back down.

 Still being sick, I had to get  up a couple of times to blow my nose, and once or twice I coughed up phlegm and had to make a quick jot to the bathroom in order not to lose the drink. I finally started to feel a tad better, and Michael was behaving well. By this time he was sitting/standing on a chair in between Mike and I and the waiting room was empty. Then, people came in again and it got full of people with kids running back and forth around the waiting room and behind the counter. The lady working there got them all done fast, and there was a line of two new patients waiting to sign in. She signed one in, then called me back to sit in the big chair with arm rests with one that comes down in front of you. I sat down and waited for her to come back. She did and she got me all ready to stick. I looked away, because while I can now handle shots, prior to last pregnancy I would almost pass out from them, I still can't watch or look at the blood afterward.

 So I waited for her to stick me, and then realized that tiny little poke was it. The needle was in and she was drawing blood. I let her know that that was the most painless sticking I've ever had, and that a lot of people tell me I'm a hard stick and sometimes have to stick me multiple times before they can get a vein. She seemed astonished. Then we heard a ladies voice coming from the other room and Mike's voice in response. I believe she was commenting on how Michael must have a dirty diaper because he was fidgeting so much. Or something to that effect. The lady helping me shook her head and said she hated when other people tried to tell you how to raise your children. Poor Michael had been extremely good the entire hour we were there, no running around (we kept him up on the chair after getting him out of his stroller), no yelling or being loud, just good and cute. Of course he wanted to run around and play.  Well, the lady finished drawing the blood, and was writing on the vials. She then showed them to me to make sure my name was spelled correctly on every one. I tried to count them while she showed them to me and I believe there were 9 total. There might have been 10, but I'm pretty sure there were only 9, and I know that there wasn't less. Oh my gosh, 9 vials of blood seemed like a lot to me. Especially when I'm used to only getting 3 drawn. I guess before I came out they were talking about how much Michael looked like Mike, and she said that little boys usually look more like their mothers. I don't know what Mike said, but I guess he must have said that he did look like me too. I came out and the lady was like "Oh yes! I see it!" I smiled and asked what they were talking about, and found out they were talking about who he looked like.

 We soon left and I wobbled out to the car. Mike put Michael in the car and I sat in the passenger seat. Thank goodness Mike has his permit now. I don't know what I would've done if I had to drive. As we started towards home we talked about getting something to eat. I finally decided that I wanted Chinese food and we headed over to a place called Dragon House to try it out. We each ordered a lunch and then ordered a side of Almond Chicken. My main entree was Beef and Broccoli, and Mike's was Chicken Lo Mein. Excited, I put some food on my plate and went to take a bite. I couldn't taste it and now the smell of the Chinese food, which didn't have a good or bad smell... just a weird smell was in my stuffed up nose. All I could smell was weird Chinese food and the sick smell of my stuffed up nose that I've been able to smell for days. The food, made me sick. I didn't get physically sick, but I almost did. I almost got sick every couple of bites in fact. I finally tried some of Mikes Lo Mein and some of our side of Fried Rice that came with lunch. I could eat the fried rice and a little bit of the lo mein, but I was burping up orange GTT drink every couple of minutes. I felt awful, couldn't taste, and couldn't eat. I drank a little bit of water, but even that didn't want to settle right. Neither did the coke I ordered. So after another trip to the restroom to clear my sinuses as best as I was able to, we left.

 With Mike and I being such nerds, and having Pokemon with us, we went across the street to Toys R Us to get an exclusive random egg. We got the eggs, then told Michael we would let him look at toys. So, look at toys we did. We walked down a Nerf isle, that actually Mike and Michael went down while I was still saving my game. I told him that he couldn't have them yet because he would most likely just eat the darts and I really didn't want to clean up nerf dart pieces everywhere and out of his diaper. So we continued on, I turned down the little guys lego isle and found a cute pull along pirate lego ship. Michael loved it, but Mike suggested we go look at the dinosaurs. Michael wasn't happy when we walked away without the ship, but he was okay by the time we got to the dinosaur toys. Michael has all of the ones they had except for the triceratops. So we put that one in the basket and I moved Mike on down more towards the little kiddie toys. We walked along a wall and I saw the Handy Manny Toolbox that sings and dances. I wanted to get this for Michael a while ago, but it said it was for kids 3+. One of my Mommy friends online has it for her son who is only a month older than Michael (I think half a month really). Her son loves it and I sometimes watch Handy Manny with Michael in the mornings, not that he actually watches it yet.  So I grabbed it and stuck it in front of him and pressed the button. The tools started jumping up and down singing a song and Michael's face lit up. That was it, he was in love, and I was in love with his smile. Even Mike knew that it was going home with us.

 We started to leave, but I had to rush to the restroom. My pregnant bum wasn't as backed up as I thought it was and I had to go right then and there. I rushed to the restroom while Mike went on his merry way. On the way though I saw some racks of clothes that said "Buy one get one free." I used the restroom and walked back over to the clothes racks and found 2 pair of shorts for Michael. One was $5 and the other $6, so I grabbed them both and now he has a new pair of khaki shorts and a new pair of jean shorts.

 We left and came home. We checked the mail and I got some more RSVPs for the wedding and Mike got some parts he ordered for his XB360. We went inside and Mike laid Michael down in his crib and I crashed into bed. I napped for a good while on and off as Mike kept coming in and asking me questions, until finally he brought Michael in and they woke me up. I was fairly ready to wake up by then (I had actually got quite a good nap in by this time with no interruptions) and I needed to eat. I warmed up a $1 alfredo meal and ate that shakily. I got it down though and that was good. Mike ate some leftover Chinese food and Michael had a Strawberry Jelly sandwich.

 A little bit later Mike asked if we could go to Gamestop. He's been wanting an aviation game for a while, so I said we could go. We got there and looked around, I didn't find anything I wanted and Mike found 2 games. He got the games and when we left I mentioned food because I was shaky again. I mean all I'd had was  a dollar meal. So we started walking and then I said we needed to stop at Borders. We went in and I looked for a book, I found 2, one of them a pregnancy book called Belly Laughs. I'm really enjoying that one, it's about Jenny McCarthy's pregnancy. Well, not so much about her pregnancy as just about pregnancy in general, but there are tidbits of her personal experiences which makes it that much more fun to read. Mind you, I didn't even know she was a celebrity until she mentioned it in the book. I'm horrible with people and names.

 After we left, I suggested we eat at California Pizza Kitchen, because it sounded good. There was a wait though, and Mike wasn't hungry. So, we walked over to Panera Bread. I wasn't sure if I really wanted it, but figured it wouldn't hurt, and I had to eat because I wasn't doing so well. Mike decided he should eat and we both got bread bowls with soup. I had Broccoli Cheddar and he had Clam Chowder. We shared some of our bread with Michael, but he wasn't too interested in it and shared half of his bread with the floor, and almost made it into someone's purse as well. Luckily that didn't happen. I was extremely happy with the food, because it calmed my stomach more than anything else has lately and I could kind of taste it, just enough to enjoy it.

 I don't think I've told anyone yet what my stomach has felt like while I've been sick, and on and off other random times as well while being pregnant. I feel like anything that is in my stomach is just sitting there rotting. My stomach always feels sour because of it feeling like that. I hate it. Oh! I forgot to tell you, I ate a strawberry earlier today in hopes of it making me feel better because it was fresh fruit. Yeah, I couldn't taste it so my strawberry tasted like cold. It was pretty gross and I almost couldn't finish it, but I did.

 Anyways, after Panera Bread, we came home and I started reading Belly Laughs. Then I got a text message from Rob asking me if it was okay if Mike played CoD tonight. I laughed at that. I had only wanted one night with Mike not on it so we could have a movie night, I normally don't mind if Mike plays CoD or not. It's his way of relaxing. I told him that I had no problem with it, to which he later responded "Wait, I thought Eric said you guys had plans." I read it to Mike and he reminded me that I had told Eric and Bry that they could come over and finish watching Burlesque. I was so out of it that I had totally forgotten, and Bry hadn't mentioned it at all in any of the text messages she had sent me today.  I picked up Michael's toys in the living room and had Mike change the litter box. He bagged up the litter to tell me we were out of litter, so I had to go buy some.

 I rushed off to Wal-Mart by myself (because Bry and Eric would probably be at the house before I got back) and got some kitty litter. I also picked up some snacks just in case, but only Michael ate some of the snacks I bought for him. He ate one or two animal crackers. As I was getting to my car and putting everything in the passenger seat a lady came up and asked me if I wanted to buy some pixie sticks. I told her I didn't have any cash, but she didn't understand I continued. So I told her no and she left. Then another lady came up and asked me if I could help her out. She asked if I had any money or change. I told her I didn't have cash and she said, "Not even 2 quarters? If I had 2 quarters I could go buy a hamburger at least." I looked in the car for some change, but only had a nickel. While I looked she told me that she had asked some guy to buy her a hamburger but he had brushed her off. I gave her the nickel and apologized that I couldn't help her any more. She thanked me and went on her way. I started to leave, but turned towards the McDonalds that is in the same parking lot. I hopped in the drive-thru and figured I'd get her a hamburger and take it back to her. The person ordering though was taking forever and the lady had walked over to McDonalds and was asking for change in the parking lot, so I backed out and as she was leaving I called out to her and motioned her into the building. I told her I didn't have cash, but I could get her a burger. She nicely asked if she could maybe have a coffee  because it was so cold outside or maybe some fries and I told her yes. (Thinking of just getting her a meal) Well, when the lady at the register finally stopped running around like a chicken with her head cut off and came to help us (I think that at this McDonalds running around like a chicken with your head cut off is a requirement to work there... really I do. It's happened before!) I told the lady to go ahead and order. She ordered a coffee and a fry and looked at me and said, "It's only $1.94" I told her that was okay, and asked if that was all she wanted, I said, "Didn't you want a hamburger?" So she asked if she could get a cheeseburger too. I nodded and the cashier rang that up as well. It only cost me about $4 and I paid and left. I normally don't give people money when they ask, but she asked for food really so I figured I could buy her some food. I'm happy I did.

 I hopped back in my car and headed home, once I got there I called Mike to tell him I was home and found out Bry and Eric were already there. Mike came down to get the kitty litter and after a little bit of talking once we were back inside, we finished the movie Burlesque. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

 Over all today was a pretty good day despite the GTT test and getting all that blood drawn. I guess feeling like crap most of the day was pretty sucky, but I can look past that to the fun times I had today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment